The Special Ayi
Many who know Luke's story and read the last post are probably pondering, "wait, she didn't mention the Ayi that Luke was so close with at the orphanage." This is a woman that we were told over and over again had a very close relationship with Luke. She bought him a special outfit for the day he met us, and when he had to leave at the orphanage, and Kanhka had to take him out of her arms, was the only time he cried for the first month we knew him. And I mean, a heart wrenching cry... Luke called her Grandma in Mandarin (Lao Lao) so it seems only fitting that shortly after Luke left the orphanage, her daughter had a baby, and she had a new little one to call her Lao Lao. Grandmothers from the father's side and the mother's side are called different names in Mandarin, and Lao Lao is the maternal side. I learned this six month after we had been home, and we were able to Facetime this special woman. At that point, I asked the person who was interpreting what the name Luke was calling her meant. "Ayi" is how they are most often referred, and that actually means "aunt"; the nannies are sometimes also just called "mama". So when they told me Lao Lao was maternal grandmother, I got chills. My own mom had died before Luke was born, but it seemed as she had been present in his life through the spirit of this beautiful woman. Ya Chen undoubtedly loved and cared for Luke extremely well, "in the in-between". His adjustment and easy attachment to us was proof of that - he had experienced a close and personal relationship before and knew what to expect out of a relationship. This, in fact, was one of things the developmental specialist on our team focused on in her training this trip - that one-on-one time and intentional interactions are important!
I knew Ya Chen was no longer on staff before we left for the trip (she had quit to take care of her new granddaughter) and was very disappointed she wouldn't be at the orphanage. However, I was hopeful and packed a little present and photobook for her...just in case.
Turns out, she lives a short 5 minutes away by bike!
And a quick flash-back from the pictures we were given of Luke at the orphanage (these 2 are just a few of the many that contain Ya Chen).
We shared stories and pictures, and she loved seeing videos of Luke! She thanked me for giving him such a good home, and I thanked her for helping build his foundation strong. It was only about a 15 minute visit, but it was so so sweet.
It is fun looking back on the pictures I have of Luke at the orphanage and now recognizing faces and knowing names of the Ayis. Most of them are still the same.
I was also able to reconnect with the Ayi who brought Luke to us the first day we met him. This is the one I referenced in my "Gotcha Dady" blog post. I remember so vividly how she waved and asked for a kiss goodbye.
And I even learned that the Ayi's would sometimes take Luke home for the weekend, truly caring for him as one of their own! One of the Ayi's casually sent these photos over Wechat (Chinese text messaging system) to us while we were in the hotel one night. It is Luke playing with her own son at her house!
Words cannot express how thankful I am for all of these women and the important job that they do!
I knew Ya Chen was no longer on staff before we left for the trip (she had quit to take care of her new granddaughter) and was very disappointed she wouldn't be at the orphanage. However, I was hopeful and packed a little present and photobook for her...just in case.
Turns out, she lives a short 5 minutes away by bike!
And a quick flash-back from the pictures we were given of Luke at the orphanage (these 2 are just a few of the many that contain Ya Chen).
We shared stories and pictures, and she loved seeing videos of Luke! She thanked me for giving him such a good home, and I thanked her for helping build his foundation strong. It was only about a 15 minute visit, but it was so so sweet.
It is fun looking back on the pictures I have of Luke at the orphanage and now recognizing faces and knowing names of the Ayis. Most of them are still the same.
I was also able to reconnect with the Ayi who brought Luke to us the first day we met him. This is the one I referenced in my "Gotcha Dady" blog post. I remember so vividly how she waved and asked for a kiss goodbye.
| Hannah, who was with Luke when we met him the first time. |
![]() |
| Hannah with Luke when he was at the orphanage. |
Words cannot express how thankful I am for all of these women and the important job that they do!



Comments
Post a Comment