Gotcha Day
"Gotcha Day" is what the international adoption community calls the day when you get to take your child from the orphanage. For most, like us, this is also a first meeting. We first saw Luke's face and knew he was our son 3 months ago when we first reviewed his file. We ha
I don't think Kanhka nor I slept more than a 20 or 30min stretch at any given point last night. Besides the fact that my calves were killing me from our Great Wall challenge to hike a four hour stretch in half the time yesterday (that's what happens when you and your husband are both competitive and someone says the word "challenge"), we could not stop thinking about Gotcha Day. All the things above were racing in our heads.
But y'all, it was PERFECT. The nanny walked Luke into the room, quickly identified who we were, and pointed to us, calling us "Mama" and "Baba" (Dada in Mandarin). Immediately, we knew they had been showing him our picture book and preparing him to meet us. After some quick bribery with candy, he warmed up to us well (For those coming down this road next, don't bother with the toys, just bring food!). He let Kanhka and I hold him, and in fact preferred to be held than put down. When Kanhka left the room at one point, he pointed to the door and called out for "Baba". Kanhka played with him while I chatted with his nanny. She then proceeded to show me this beautiful baby book they had made for Li Min Qin. It has no less than 50 priceless pictures from the time he first entered into the orphanage until now. She pointed out all of his nannies (there are 6 primary nannies in his room of 20 children), and identified one she called his "grandma". This nanny was evidently extra special to Luke, and she actually bought him a special Gotcha Day outfit (seen in the pictures). When it came time to lAs I'm writing this, I still can't believe how easy the evening has gone. Since being back at the hotel room, he ate dinner well, played with toys, and even let us give him some medicine for the cold he has currently. He was in his PJs and sound asleep in his crib at the 7:30pm bedtime his carefully detailed schedule reports. Not a single tear has been shed since we've had him.
Now, there is certainly a ways to go with the attachment and bonding. While he has interacted with us very well, I wouldn't say we have gotten a true smile out of him yet or seen his personality shine through. One thing is already obvious though, he is very observant and just likes to watch and take everything in. This feature reminds me very much of his older sister.
I look forward to that first smile in the days to come, but as for today, it was a great day and a great big answer to prayer. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you to everyone who has been praying alongside us!
Amazing! God is so good! I'm anticipating your joy when you see his first genuine smile!
ReplyDeleteOh, Olivia!!! Praise God! I'm so so so thankful for this update! what a blessing!!! And what a sweet gift to know so much about how he's been cared for!
ReplyDeleteGod is so, so good! Can't keep the tears from flowing as I think of yall together. Thank you for sharing your day, we've been praying! And I can't help but think of all the photos our Pam will take of his REAL smile in the years to come :)
ReplyDeleteSounds like a DREAM!! He is faithful. Continued prayers as you all get to know one another and bond. We love you, Luke!!!
ReplyDeleteSo excited for you and Khanka! What a blessing for him to be with his forever family. I can tell you from experience... adoption changes everything and we’ve been more blessed by our adopted kids than they’ve been by us. Jesus truly does bring redemtion and restoration. Blessings to y’all!
ReplyDeleteI am so happy for you all that the first meeting was peaceful and smooth. That is a gift from the Lord! This is the beginning of Luke growing attached to you two as his Daddy and Mommy. I will pray the Lord strengthens that bond moment by moment and that he feels safe and secure! We love you guys!!
ReplyDeletePraise the Lord for He is Good!! What an answer to prayers already and what confirmation of God continuing to show His provision and hand in this process. Praying for His peace for Luke to bring about security and joy in the coming days! Much love from the Willetts!
ReplyDeleteOh what a blessing! God is so good & I'm so thrilled for all of you. Can't wait to see the pictures of that beautiful Smile that will be coming soon I'm sure. Happy Gotcha day
ReplyDeleteOh what a blessing! God is so good & I'm so thrilled for all of you. Can't wait to see the pictures of that beautiful Smile that will be coming soon I'm sure. Happy Gotcha day
ReplyDelete